Thursday, December 26, 2013

Jesus and Santa

These 2 have been on my mind a lot lately for obvious reasons. After listening to a pastor's podcast that a college friend posted on Facebook about how we, as Christians, shouldn't have Santa involved in our Christmas celebrations it really got me to thinking. Then I read some of the comments to her post, and I have to admit I was a little heart sore for some of those people. I don't profess to being a great Christian, but I don't think letting my children believe in Santa makes me a bad one either. We also have a nativity (actually a few), read the story of the 1st Christmas, and remind our children that we celebrate because of the birth of Christ. I completely agree that we need more Christ in our Christmas, and I don't mean we as just my family. I just can't fathom that including Santa in the celebration is evil (and yes I know it's a horrible anagram) or has to take away from the true meaning of the season. Why can't he be a representation of generosity and abundant love to children just as God gave us, His children, the ultimate gift in Christ? Some say it's because Santa's giving is dependent on children being nice and not naughty while Christ's love is unconditional. The love of Christ is a given, but it doesn't guarantee anyone a spot in eternity with Him unless you meet the qualification laid out in The Bible. Why can't believing in Santa's magic be a step in believing in something that you can't see or touch just as we can't see or touch Christ? Granted many children visit "Santa" every year, they can't see his magic of delivering goodies on Christmas Eve. I'm not sure how to take the stories of adults telling how they were devastated to learn "the truth" about Santa and how it made them question everything their parents ever told them because of this lie. Really? I honestly don't think I was mature enough at that age to have such deep reflection, and it really didn't bother me when my parents told me. I'm sure on some level I had already begun to suspect, but they also told me that Santa was a representation of the magic of Christmas. I was selfishly more concerned about getting gifts than who they came from I'm sad to say. I will try to focus more on tying the magic of the first Christmas to the magic of Santa when my time comes with Aiden. If I'm still writing then, I'm sure you'll hear about it. Besides I just can't imagine taking the fun and excitement of a Christmas morning away from my kids. Seeing that kind of joy on a child's face is magically in and of itself. Plus, I can't imagine how a child might feel if Santa doesn't visit him but bring's toys to his friends. Will he feel like he has been naughty or unworthy in some manner? OK, I'll get off my soap box now. These are just some of the ramblings that have been in my head for a few days. My friend Kim says she has a really good book about Jesus and Santa. I think I'll try to find it for next year if she can give me the name. I think there is plenty of room in this house for Jesus and Santa. I will definitely work on having more Jesus through out the year, but you can bet that Santa will come to my house next Christmas Eve and every year thereafter so long as my kids are in my house (even when they are grown) and maybe he'll just come visit Joseph when they aren't in the house. :) ~Heather P.S. This is the post I wanted to do on Christmas Eve but was too ill, and I was too tired last night to stay up long enough to do it. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment