Thursday, October 9, 2014

Be careful what you wish for...

Many of you already know or suspect my life changing event of the day - I was laid off from Benchmark Group this morning. Those that follow this blog will also know that this isn't exactly sad news for me.

I've been unhappy there for quite some time.  It's been a very arduous 3 years for that company, and the struggle continues.  I'm not going to use this forum to discuss the many issues plaguing them any more.

Although I wasn't happy there, I have spent many happy moments with the people there over the last 12 and a half years.  I will cherish those memories, and I have to confess that missing the daily interaction with those people was the source of a few tears today.

Some of those tears were also from fear of the future.  There is no doubt this is what I've been hoping for but wasn't prepared for the suddenness of it.  Two hours from now my family will be without health insurance, and I need to find some that is affordable ASAP.  

Joseph and I still need to make some concrete decisions about the finances to make sure we can do this, but the preliminary report is good.  I will finishing filing my unployment claim tomorrow and get busy with the insurance search.

Then, the fun stuff begins - planning my days as a full-time work at home mom.  I can't tell you how excited I am about this aspect.  It was so nice to be able to volunteer for things at the PTA meeting today without wondering about workload.  I can have lunch with Aiden and volunteer at school.  I will teach Rylee her colors and shapes and go to the park with her and do art projects with her.  Although we will desperately miss our PeaceKids family, I'm confident we will visit for a drop off day here and there and return for pre-K in a few years (they can prepare her better than I).  

It's going to be an interesting road with some ups and downs and lots of adjustments.

This was my drive home this morning.  I felt it important to document an element of the day, and the road home seemed appropriate.  

I'm coming home to stay.

I'm home.

I don't think it's a coincidence that these arrived this evening after I got home from packing my cubicle.

This is my future, and I couldn't be happier about it!!!

~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment