Sunday, June 22, 2014

Country music evolution

I have listened to country music for as long as I can remember.  One of my first favorite songs was Sleeping Single in a Double Bed by Barbara Mandrell.  Yes I'm old.  And yes, I was country when country wasn't cool, but I probably didn't tell anybody.

Country was not and is not all the I listen to on my playlist.  I enjoy almost all kinds of music - pop, some rap, Christian, golden oldies, etc.

What I'm coming to notice is that country is more and more influenced by these other genres as well.  There are a few songs on country radio now that distinctly remind me of songs by non-country artist.  And, Jason Derulo was part of the opening number for a descent country awards show.  

This influence is what brings people like my husband to country radio.  He does not like old country, but enjoys the modern stuff.  I have to admit that I enjoy it better myself.  Maybe because it kind of brings together all the music that I like in one location.

I'm glad country is cooler now.  I don't have to hide what I listen to so much.  LOL!!



~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment