Friday, July 26, 2013

I'm a dork

Many of you already know that I'm a dork, and that there are many reasons that I am dork.  Today the reason is Jury Duty.  Two words that strike fear in the hearts of many Americans happen to make me happy.  Joseph has been summoned twice in the last 6 years (2007 and 2013) and served on one jury during his 2007 term.  I peppered him with questions when he was allowed to answer them.  I received my summons a couple of weeks ago and went for my orientation session this afternoon.  It was kind of awesome!  The courtroom was packed, and this was the 3rd such session of the day.  Brenda DeShields, the circuit clerk for Benton County, said they had summoned 830 people from the community to serve the term from September - December.  They were doing our orientation early so as not to interfere with back to school in August.  How nice!  The whole process was very nice actually.  Ms. DeShields seemed very friendly, and the judge (his name fails me) was funny.  We even said the Pledge of Allegiance.  Wow!  What a moment of pride to be sitting in a courtroom full of adults reciting the Pledge.  Did I mention I'm a dork?

I'm not sure why this whole thing excites me.  I've been civic-minded for quite some time.  I mean, I registered to vote on my 18th birthday.  I even considered a career in law, but 3 semesters in law school was more than enough of that crazy idea.  I sometimes wonder if I was meant for some service in law, especially on days like today.  I really enjoyed just sitting in the ambiance of that courtroom.  It's an old building, so you can feel the character in the walls and halls and stairways.  I caught myself admiring these very high windows and wondered what it was like in the room before the invention of mini-blinds.  I bet it was designed to be bright, so they wouldn't have to use so much lamp light.  Again, I'm a dork.

Now, I have to wait for my phone to ring and see if I actually get seated for a trial.  I hope I get that call because I want the whole experience, I think.  It's a daunting thought that somebody's future could rest in my understanding of fact, evidence, and my application of that to law.  However, if asked to serve I will do my absolute best to pay attention and be fair.  It's not every country that gives its citizens such an opportunity to serve and a right to a fair trial when accused.  People have served and died to protect these precious rights, and I don't want to let them down.  I wish I could say that I will keep you posted, but there isn't going to be much I can say if I'm seated until after the trail is over.  Then, I'm sure I'll tell you all about it.  Even though you probably aren't a dork like me.


~Heather



Day 13 of 365


Update:  My boy is home, and he is sleeping in Mommy's bed tonight (not that this is different from any other Friday night).  He's standing beside me now driving his Monster Trucks around my Scentsy warmer.  He had to leave the other room, so Rylee would settle down and go to sleep.  She was pretty excited to see him too.  I love that I don't have to worry about him burning himself on the warmer or wax.  It's why I fell in love with Scentsy in the first place.  LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment