Friday, August 16, 2013

Football is almost here

Usually by this time of year, it's blazing hot, and I'm itching for some football.  Well, not so much this year...sort of.

First of all, it's not blazing hot.  It is absolutely gorgeous weather (the low tonight is in the 50s and the high today was in the 80s) that I am not getting to enjoy it near enough.  As a matter of fact, I walked out the door yesterday and said, "Do you feel that?  It's football weather."  There was already that hint of autumn in the air that makes any fan, big or small, think of pigskin.

That brings me to part two.  I used to be a HUGE basketball fan.  I have been calling the Hogs since I was 3 and wanted to be an Arkansas Razorback cheerleader when I grew up more than anything.  My parents were involved with basketball in high school - Dad played and Mom was the statistician, so that was the sport in our household.  Sure, I went to and enjoyed junior and senior high football games, but we were more in to basketball as a family.

Enter Joseph, 14+ years ago.  He loved football and basketball, and we spent a good part of our early days discussing college b-ball since that was the season.  By the time fall rolled around, he was working most Saturdays which left me in charge of the college football rundown.  I still remember laying on the couch with 2 tvs going - 1 with the Hogs, 1 with the Sooners. I learned quickly that Joseph didn't just want to know who won, so he spent Sundays answering all of my stupid questions while we watched the NFL.  I soon fell in love with football and sort of lost interest in basketball (it could have had something to do with the struggles of the Hogs too).  It was great watching the Sooners win a national title!

I had never really enjoyed professional sports, but I adored the NFL.  Although I grew up watching the Cowboys on Thanksgiving and a few Super Bowls, the Colts became my favorite team (it's a long story), and Peyton Manning was (and still is) my favorite player.  Joseph has favorite players, but not teams (although he hates the Cowboys).  I need somebody to cheer for to really enjoy it, but I try to keep up with any former Razorbacks and root for them.  I was very pregnant with Aiden when my Colts won the Super Bowl.  I am so glad I didn't go in to labor!  LOL!  I was just a little bit excited!!

Anyway, we didn't get as involved with football last year.  I was reeling from the disappointment of Bobby Petrino's shenanigans, and the Colts letting Peyton go.  Plus, I was pregnant with Rylee and had her in the height of the season.  So, I haven't really been missing it so much this year.

That has all changed in the last week.  I am super excited about the Bret Bielema era at Arkansas, and the Sooners are always awesome.  There is just this aura changing in Northwest Arkansas this time of year.  You can kind of feel this undercurrent of excitement as the season approaches.  You see more people wearing Razorback gear (there was a lot more at work today than usual).  There is a lot more talk going on at work and at home.  It's just special to be so close to a major university and sense the difference.  We watched a little of a couple of pre-season NFL games tonight.  It's just not the same as a real game though.

The countdown has begun.  In a little over 2 weeks, football season will official begin in this house.  I might have to host a little get together to celebrate.  I'm ready to be excited about football again.  It's a great bonding element in my marriage, and I miss it.  Bring it on!

Boomer Sooner and Woo Pig Sooie!!!!!


~Heather               Arkansas Razorbacks Medium 8" Running Razorback Magnet

Day 34 of 365

No comments:

Post a Comment