Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Love and Marriage

I may be crossing in to controversial waters with this one, but I'm OK with that.

I became fascinated with TLC's Sister Wives a couple of years ago.  I had heard about it and came across it one night while flipping channels and decided to watch out of pure curiosity.  One episode did not satisfy that curiosity, so I set the DVR to record new episodes.  I've been watching ever since.  The thing that amazes me the most is how utterly normal these people are.  I don't know what I was expecting - maybe too much of Warren Jeffs in the news at the time.  I can relate to the chaos of their lives - trying to be a good wife, a good mom, working, running a home-based business.  They are also trying to be good Christians and live by their faith.  This is, of course, the hiccup because they are all "married" to one man.  I put the word married in quotes because as I understand it there is only one legal marriage in the eyes of the state and the other three are ceremonial marriages.  At any rate, they are trying to live as one huge family - 1 husband, 4 wives, and 17 children.  I'm not sure how to reconcile this concept with what I know of the Bible.

As I ponder this, it draws my brain to the whole issue of marriage between gay couples.  I'm not sure how I feel about that one either.  On one hand, I don't know how it fits in the Bible (because I don't think it does).  On the other hand, why shouldn't two people who love each other have the same rights before that law that Joseph and I have if they're willing to make the same commitment.

Here is my ultimate epiphany on the subject:  God is love!  My God and my Bible say to love everyone, and so I will.  It's is not my place to judge who loves whom or how they love.  It's my place to love everyone the same way God loves me.  Furthermore, I will support anyone in their quest for loving and being loved.  As Kody says in the opening of the show, "Love is meant to be multiplied, not divided."  Laying the context aside and just looking at the quote, he is absolutely right.  We should never tell anybody else that they can't love another person.  God would never do that to us, so why should we do it.

I hope I haven't offended anyone, but if I have please talk to me one-on-one.  Give me the opportunity to hear you out, and the right to respond.


~Heather



Day 32 of 365

No comments:

Post a Comment