Sunday, August 25, 2013

Truth or scam?

So I promised you the story of a weird experience I had last night.

I met Joseph, the kids, and his parents for dinner after CKC was over last night.  You didn't really think I could go 3 nights without seeing my babies did you?  ;)

Anyway, on my way to the hotel's side door on my way back in a woman approached me.  She told me she was from out of town (Parsons, KS) and was hit by a drunk driver in front of the hospital in Broken Arrow.  Her car was totaled, and she was hungry which she said was why she was talking so fast and wasn't being clear.  At any rate, they were giving them a room (Fairfield Inn, I think) at a hotel down the road for half price, but they needed $23.  Could I give them them that much?  When I told her I didn't think I had any cash (because I usually don't), she asked if the hotel had an ATM.  I told her I didn't think so.  Then I remembered I had $10 left in my purse, so I gave it to her and told her I'd say a prayer for her family which I did as I entered the hotel an went up to my room.

Now, I don't know if her story is true or not.  She seemed pretty nervous which could be interpreted in more than one way.  I'm sure I could do some research to find out if there was a wreck or not, and I've been tempted.  I could have asked the front desk if they new anything about it.  I could see if Fairfield is in the same family of hotels as Candlewood.  

But why?  Do I need to prove that I did a good deed or was scammed?  What good would it do either way?  If I was scammed, I'm not getting the ten bucks back.  You might even say that even if her story isn't true she needed money badly enough to approach a stranger in a hotel parking lot to get it. 

I'm opting to believe that she was sent to me because I could help even if it wasn't completely.  

There's part of me that will always wonder because today's society teaches us to not trust strangers.  Frankly, a lot of them aren't to be trusted.  It's why I don't give anything to people standing on street corners with cardboard signs.

Maybe I should help more.  It's between them and God if they are not legit.  Jesus teaches us to help and love without judgement.  

I think I'll pray some more for that woman I met last night. 


~Heather


Day 43 of 364


No comments:

Post a Comment