Friday, March 21, 2014

March Madness

I am a fan of basketball.  College basketball used to be my favorite sport until Joseph got me hooked on football and the Razorbacks began to falter on the hard wood.



There is still part of me that gets excited about the NCAA tourament.  If I hadn't been so sick this week, I probably would have filled out a bracket even though I don't know near as much as I used to about college hoops.  Granted I'm sure my bracket would be completely busted at this point like most everyone else's.

I really enjoy seeing the underdogs win this time of year.  I'm sure the young men at Mercer will be telling the tale of how they beat Duke in the NCAA tournament until their dying day.  

However, I started to wonder tonight if this is the best of the best.  I usually try to explain these things to Aiden now that he's old enough to understand and possibly be interested.  Then, I realized these aren't the top 64 teams in the country.  They are mostly conference or tournament winners with a select few upper tier teams.  SMU was a top 25 team but didn't make it to the Big Dance.  

It's funny to me that we can have so much controversy about the lack of a playoff in football to determine the "true" best team, but I never hear complaint about this tournament.  

It doesn't matter how you shake it - tournament, playoff, bowl game, etc. - the best team that game wins and/or moves on.  If Mercer and Duke played tomorrow, I venture to guess it would be a different outcome.  I don't think we can ever truly say any one team is THE best - perhaps they were just the best at the right time.
 
Its just a game anyway.  It's fun, it's entertaining, but it's still just a game.  Somebody might need to remind of that late Monday night when the Hogs take on Califronia in the NIT.  Lol!

Go Hogs!!! 

 

~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment