Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Sunburn and sleet within 24 hours....What?

We survived our first Cub Scout camporee over the weekend!!!  I don't think it was the best plan to have it the day after Halloween, but I'm certainly not in charge of those decisions.

We arrived at the camp site in the frigid cold of Saturday morning and had our tent set up pretty quickly before activities began at 9:00.  We learned about knots and using a compass before heading over to the Boy Scout side for some activities.  

They did BB guns and archery before a lunch break.  


Then it was relay races, tomahawk throw, sling shots, watching the catapult, beading, and the monkey bridge for the afternoon session.  


We had quite a break before the end of day ceremony and dinner which was nice because we (the adults) were pooped. Joseph, Rylee, and I were sporting sunburns too.  Dutch oven dinner was yummy, and those of us braving the cold overnight received evening and morning instructions.  

Most of us huddled around our campfire while waiting for the bonfire event.  We even roasted some marshmallows and made s'mores.  At last it was time for the bonfire with a special presentation from the Boy Scouts of Troop 122.  It was AWEsome!!!  Then it was skits and awards before we drug out half-frozen selves back to camp.

Everybody made last runs to the potties and cuddled up in their tents praying it wouldn't get TOO cold.  It took a while to thaw but once I did, the cold didn't get to me much.  It was much more difficult keeping Rylee in the sleeping bag and on the air mattress.  Overnight I heard some rain - oh so soothing sound.

Bright and early, Mr. Johnson was up and making a fire, and it wasn't long before I heard another short shower and other began to stir.  I couldn't help but notice when I emerged from the tent that nothing looked wet.  I thought I'd imagined the rain but later learned from Mr. Johnson that it had actually been sleet.  CRAZY!!  Everyone was anxious to get home to some solid warmth, so we broke camp and packed up.  My family was starving, so we hit the Cracker Barrel on the way home.



All in all, it was a good event.  Aiden had a great time and got to know some fellow scouts better.  He really liked the Native American dances from Troop 122 and says he wants to be a Boy Scout.  I'm good with that!!

~Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment